Sunday, September 21, 2003
One student has the following in a blog posted on Thursday, September 18: "Out of the 60 people listed, 17 blogs either do not exist, or have something to the effect of 'test' as their sole post, this number does not include the 12 people who have not even created a blog yet (those whose names are in black). It takes something like 4 or 5 minutes max to get into the system, then to post. This is worth 20% of your grade, you can do it!" [Thanks to the student who shall remain nameless, for now, for doing the quick summary - I hope you don't mind my sharing the results of your review.]
Since this was posted on Thursday, I have added a few more links to student blogs. As well, some of the students listed without a link may have dropped the class. Nevertheless, I am wondering what the blocks are to students making such postings. I know for some that the problem is getting comfortable with the technology. Using the blogger.com system is not as easy as it could it be - however I have tried to provide a step by step guide, available on WebCT. I am wondering if another block comes from the way in which the information society is being shaped towards a much more aural and visual society, and much less one in which people are accustomed to writing. I think email and IM belies that to some extent, although the requirements for the blog are more formal than those two forms of communication typically take. Neverthess, I join in the admonition "You can do it."
Since this was posted on Thursday, I have added a few more links to student blogs. As well, some of the students listed without a link may have dropped the class. Nevertheless, I am wondering what the blocks are to students making such postings. I know for some that the problem is getting comfortable with the technology. Using the blogger.com system is not as easy as it could it be - however I have tried to provide a step by step guide, available on WebCT. I am wondering if another block comes from the way in which the information society is being shaped towards a much more aural and visual society, and much less one in which people are accustomed to writing. I think email and IM belies that to some extent, although the requirements for the blog are more formal than those two forms of communication typically take. Neverthess, I join in the admonition "You can do it."
Comments:
Post a Comment